Tuesday, March 9, 2010

MSI Coffee Tasting Club: Week #1 – Organic Yukon Blend®

About the tasting club:

The program was announced 3/2/2010 on MSI (My Starbucks Idea)

MSI-My Starbucks Idea Tasting Club

MSI Tasting Club Details

You need to post your week #1 tasting notes here:

MSI Coffee Tasting Club: Week #1 – Organic Yukon Blend®

Additional Yukon Links:

You Tube

Buy Here - Organic Yukon Blend® by Starbucks Coffee

Organic Yukon Blend® by Starbucks Coffee
Do they grow coffee in the Yukon? No, but they drink a lot of coffee there. This blend was created for the captain of a fishing fleet who wanted to keep his crew warm in the chilly conditions. Starbucks created Yukon Blend to be balanced, bringing the flavor, body and acidity in harmony with one another.

Hearty and well rounded, Organic Yukon Blend is a great "next step" coffee after House Blend. It's the same familiar flavor you've loved for years, now 100% certified organic.

Intensity: Bold

Food Pairings:
Any breakfast food is wonderful with this invigorating blend - like a big bowl of oatmeal with raisins and cinnamon.

Origin Notes:
A blend of Latin American and Indonesian coffee.

MY NOTES:

Well I had mine after a dark cherry mocha.

I think this tasting club is fabulous! I wish they'd keep it up and cycle through ALL the coffees. I also wish they had the pairing notes at the register so I would have tried the oatmeal instead of croissant.

Sadly yesterday (Monday) and Today I had to walk the baristas at my Starbucks through the new program. It is a disappointment that they were just mailed materials with no clear directions on what was going on. I hope staffing is increased soon, it will improve the experience of my poor harried but wonderfully happy and helpful partners.

Smell: coffee, dark, roasting, spicy
Taste: smooth, sweet, acidic, astringent
After taste: bitter, then a spiciness that coated my tongue

Nibbling my butter croissant between bites took care of that

Next I decided to add 1 packet white sugar

Smell: coffee, dark, roasting, spicy
Taste: smooth, sweet, spicy
After taste: bitter, then a spiciness that coated my tongue

Nibbling my butter croissant between bites took care of that

Perhaps cream would have helped more but I have none on hand.

Overall I still believe I am not much of a "bold" coffee person but I love to try them all anyway to be sure.

Also coffee makes me feel a little ill, so right now I have a twitchy eyelid and a angry tummy, oh well.





No comments: