Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Starbucks Clover® Brewed Coffee

Starbucks Clover® Brewed Coffee information

On Twitter I saw Jason Simpson @JS_Starbucks Tweet about a Clover brewer in NYC (not too far from me) and I asked where it was.

11:49 AM Mar 29th via Tweetie in reply to amazonv
"@amazonv the first @Starbucks Clover store in NYC will open on 4/13. Spring St. In SoHo."

I had been jealous of Starbucks Melody and her access to the Clover brewer for a while so I decided the next time I was in NYC I would go try some Clover brewed coffee.

5/1/2010 I was in NYC, 6:29PM I had my chance!

I sent a frantic tweet earlier that day asking for an address, one of my friends, Gil, came though with "78 Spring Street"

I set about getting to the store via the subway, I promptly got myself lost, even using Google Maps on my Blackberry.

After I ran out of possible wrong turns I went into the store.

I was greeted by a partner wearing a headset who took my order before I even reached the menu boards. Being I had not seen them yet I ordered two tall Clover Komodo Dragon. I was promptly looked at with confusion and asked to repeat my order, then finally told I had to pick from a separate menu.

After looking at my choices MilitiaJim choose 100% Kona and I choose Sumatra.

It was neat to watch the beans be weighed, ground, and pressed while I watched.

The coffee had a layer of oil when it was handed over, which I believe is supposed to be part of the point and good for the flavor.

100% Kona
Intensity: Medium
Origin: Asia/Pacific
Notes: citrus, nutty

my notes: light, spicy after taste, almost floral and flowery

Sumatra
Intensity: Extra Bold
Origin: Asia/Pacific
Notes: earthy, herbal

my notes: earthy, smooth, slight acidity

MilitiaJim and I switched as I was enjoying the Kona more than the Sumatra.

We both agreed the coffee was smoother (MilitiaJim "less burn-ed/y") from the clover, but as unrefined coffee drinkers we won't be trekking out of our way to hunt the Clover brewer down again in the future,







No comments: